Describe Your Character
Every being is a unique collection of archetypal essences that infuse the universe with life and destiny! Astrophysicists proclaim that life begins in the great furnaces of the stars, while astrologers ascertain one’s destiny through the rhythmic cycles of the heavens and their configurations. At the beginning of character creation you emerge into the World of Thandoria shaped by these mysterious cosmic forces. You were born in response to a spiritual need on the planet. By the end of the Character Creation process, your adult self will be trained and prepared for the first adventure!
In the Beginning…
There was cosmic dust willing to be form imbued with intelligence, perception, mobility, and free will. To begin your birth process you must determine the astrological forces that guided you to choose this body and begin life with the first breath. In any astrological chart there are usually three outstanding archetypes based on the configurations of the Sun, Moons, and planets along the seasonal track of the Zodiac.
“A child born in the late summer takes the essence of the season, a warm generous person with a tinge of narcissism, but one born of the winter, just like wine taking the essence and taste of the season of its pressing, the person will be colder, aloof, less interested in people, more concerned with greater ideals, one eye trained toward the future and the horizon.”
Sage of Hemlock
The Ten-Minute Background
In an attempt to get all the information I need to create stuff from character backgrounds without having to continually push for information, I am asking that you create backgrounds the following way:
Step 1: write five things about your character’s concept and background, five things that you think are the most essential parts of your character. You don’t have to stop at five, if you like…this is just a minimum.
Example: Martin Tenbones:
1) He is a former pirate and retired adventurer and now owns a tavern in the city of St. Clarice.
2) He is outgoing and charismatic, and attempts to keep abreast of all the local gossip and juicy secrets that pass his way, because he believes that knowledge is power.
3) He and his former adventuring band fought against the forces of the pirate captain Craven, who was a major lieutenant for the current Dread Pirate Hellbeard. He used the wealth that he acquired to build his tavern, but he sometimes worries that the pirates may one day decide to find him and extract revenge.
4) Though he is still friends with most of his former adventuring mates, some of them parted the group on bad terms. His girlfriend went back to the sea to fight pirates once more, but he received word that her vessel was taken by Hellbeard and believes she was killed. He mourns her death.
5) Although he is retired, he can be convinced to adventure again if he hears that Sasha (his lost love) may still be alive, or if he is contacted by the White Foxes during a crisis (see secrets).
Step 2: List two goals for the character that you, as a player, think would be cool to see accomplished in-game. During any session in which you take positive action to achieve that goal, I will award you an action point that can only be used in scenes furthering that goal. These Action Points are separate from the action points you gain by resting and reaching milestones. You can change goals later, though you lose all the accumulated Action Points for the goal you abandoned.
1) I would like to see Martin reunited with his lost love and perhaps able to mend fences with some of his former adventuring buddies over the course of this campaign.
2) It would be cool to have Martin face and possibly defeat the Dread Pirate Hellbeard once and for all.
Step 3: List two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!
1) Martin is a member of the White Fox Society, a secret society dedicated to keeping Coralton free of tyranny and evil, as well as keeping local governments honest. He provides information and rumors to them, but can be convinced to take a more active roll if
2) Sasha LeBell, Marin’s lost love, is still alive. She was captured by the Dread Pirate Hellbeard and has been kept as his captive for all these years.
3) (Example of a secret I might make up about your character): Not only is Sasha alive, but also she has escaped captivity and killed Hellbeard. She has taken over his ship and crew, and has turned to piracy out of bitterness. She now IS the new Dread Pirate Hellbeard!