We tried to scry on many people from the town (using belongings that we found):
- Megar Varn was dead.
- We failed to located Gurnery.
- We saw Cephal in a wide underground chamber with stalactites on the ceiling and glowing lava and what used to be a bridge over some tar pits. Cephal had a broken jaw and foul, blackened flesh and was wearing the tatters of his wizrd robes. He had been strangled to death and was now standing motionless as a dread zombie. Tal knew that such a zombie could command other zombies as a free action and had bad reflex saves. He was located somewhere SE of us. We cast detect magic through the scrying portal and detected a +1 dagger and a ring of protection.
- A commoner we scryed was alive, but not in his body. Through detect magic we discovered that he was in a soul jar on a shelf full of similar jars. The walls were full of niches with shelves, on which the jars were located. The jars were each 1 ft tall and contained swirling smoke. There was a portable hole in the corner. Touching a soul jar allows telepathic communication with the soul and breaking the jar will revive the person with their body. The jars were in a circular room with domed ceilings.
- The missing scholar Willais Gunderson (who had followed a map to an ancient crypt and found an ancient bracelet) was now in a dark crypt as a ghostly figure with an unnatural aura that frightened Andarus.
Outisde, Andarus spotted a strange raven circling the town and thought that it might be spying on us. We suspected that it was Vordakai’s familiar.
We headed towards the spriggans’ caves, planning to ambush the raven if we saw it again. En route, we smelt blood and came upon the corpses of slaughtered dire wolves in a circle, all missing their eyes and scrota. They were arranged in a circle with spokes related to the seasons. The mutilations were done with surgical precision.
- beryl with a lingering necromantic aura (25 gp)
Liliana thought that the crystal was used to evoke something and felt a sickness coming from it. Tal recalled cultic lore about rare beings that could launch magic through crystals. We put it in the bag of holding, just in case. We took a sample of blood from the wolves (although blood biography didn’t prove necessary).
At the caves, we found a rock behind a bush, with small booted humanoid tracks and a small entrance. Tal sensed something and cast see invisibility, finding a floating crystal. A beam came out of it, crumbling the floor beneath Tal, but he was able to quickly jump out of the way. Tal sensed an intelligence directing the crystal.
- opal (100 gp)
We saw a humanoid figure witha red crystal floating in front of it, which shot a fireball at us. The figure was a stygira. The stygira hit Tal, draining him of color and cursing him. Larken and Verrak attacked, killing it and causing the crystal to fall to the floor. After this, we heard a screaming and were attacked by two more of the stygira. We found a ritual circle surrounded by the wolf eyes and testicles. Larken killed the stygira performing the ritual, stopping its summons. However, a giant cyclops then burst upwards through the floor and we killed it as well. Each stygira dropped a gem.
- 3x painite (1750 gp each)
- huge mwk greatclub (320 gp)
- huge hide armor (60 gp)
After the fight, we had our summoned lantern archon cast continual flame on the ioun stones circling the heads of Tal, Liliana, and Verrak. (-150 gp total)
The curse began to slow Tal. Liliana prayed for guidance and saw a vision of the sun melting rocks. Tal ran out of the cave and began regaining color in the sunlight, breaking the curse after an hour.
State of the Party:
- knowledge of the location of Talia’s wedding gift (worth 300 gp)
- “Secrets of the Rashalka Mounds” and Ervil’s notes
- charcoal stretches of peculiar markings, which the notes attribute to the old centaurs
- two-month old letter from Varn to Pendras saying that Willas discovered the bracelet on the banks of a local river and asking Pendras to look into it
- centuries-old geography book on Taldor, with a massage marked by Pendras as “Vordakai,” an ancient Nomen god.
- letters with mentions of conflict with the Nomen
- pages from a spellbook containing the spells: bears endurance, mount, tiny hut, keen edge, comprehend languages, and flaming sphere
- map of the Nomen Heights and the area around Varnhold
Stuff belonging to the Varnholders:
- payroll coffer of 500 gp
- gems worth 3500 gp
- +2 defending longsword with the symbol of the house of Varn
- 6000 gp
- recipe for the Cheerful Delver Stout (50 gp)
- 934 arrows
- 220 bolts
- 120 small darts
- “Skybolt,” a +2 thundering composite longbow (for plus 4 strength)
- +1 heavy crossbow of seeking (8400 gp)
- ritual barbarian dagger
- 4 potions of water breathing
- 1 potion of shield of faith +2
- 1 potion of lesser restoration
- 1 potion of raise dead
- 2 potions of speak with animals
- 3 potions of cure moderate wounds
- 1 vial of wyvern poison
- vial of antitoxin
- 2 smokesticks
- 1200 gp in potions
- 3 dust of illusion
- 1 feather token, tree
- elixir of love
- ointment, restorative (5 uses)
- type II necklace of fireballs with one 4d6 bead left
- ring of friend shield (but not its companion ring)
- bag of holding
- robe of vermin (cursed item)
- ring of bestial friendship (after 1d4 minutes, the befriended animal goes into a rage and has an urge to attack a nearby town) (made of hair)
- folding boat (another one)
- lizardfolk hatched from an egg
- bag of caltrops (previously possessed by Grigore)
- sketched likeness of the dark fey
- map with our town and the owlbear’s nest marked on it
- map from the troll lair, rubbing of the pillar from the troll lair
- dire boar pelt
- dragon scale to make x2 small Hide Armor
- black dragon scales
- forest drake hide
- winter wolf pelt
- Torvin’s mother-of-pearl brooch
- trunk with a small library of reference books (900 gp, or 500 gp reward from the academy for their return)
- mwk viola with maker mark of Azores of Wistful (1600 gp, or more for return to the academy)
- forest drake head
- rock troll head
- double-headed ettin heads
- wyvern head
- winter wolf head
- owlbear head
- pluda head
The party has 8610.7 gp